Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Commotion Wireless: The journey continues

In my effort to set up a commotion MESH here at the lab, I have learned much. I was easily able to get a node set up on my newer laptop (64bit) running Ubuntu 14.04 by downloading and installing all the .deb packages located here:

http://downloads.commotionwireless.net/linux/

Make a folder in your home folder called Commotion and download the packages there, then from the command line:

$ cd ~/Commotion
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

(this fails on dependencies, so..)

$ sudo apt-get install -f

( this will download and install all needed dependencies, when it's done... )

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Once this is done, logout and back in or reboot and you should have a commotion wireless applet next to your networking applet. use this to connect/start the default commotionwireless.net network. I only have one node, but it seems to be working, I can veiw the local apps page in my browser (localhost:8080). There is a connection status applet I can open, however as there are no other nodes just yet, I don't see anything.

Now I am working on building deb packages from source via github for my 32 bit laptop and Raspberry Pi. Running wheezy I had to add the testing branch for the latest version of libc6-devel and wpa_supplicant. Hopefully I will have some deb packages for i386 and RPi (armf) available soon. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment